Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On the Road

I’m  so upbeat. After two days of smooth travelling, I’m waiting for my flight to – guess where, guess where – Tokyo. I took Amtrak from New Haven to Trenton, NJ (to see my family) and then NJ Transit to Newark. I don’t know whether it’s Barrack’s rule over this unruly piece of land or pure chance, but everything went so smoothly – no delays, no accidents, no lost bags, no mean train clerks. Bravo, America! At the airport, Hudson News had my favorite sleeping pills and the newest issue of Vanity Fair (and if you think they always do, then you’re wrong). The baggage guy at the Continental counter forgot to charge me for second bag (extra fifty bucks for sushi, yayayay). I managed to steal wifi from airport café. And the coolest is that all my copassangers are cute Japanese grandmas. (OMG – ten of them just started doing some kind of taichi-like exercises. That is so cool. So cool!). Bliss and heaven!

I’m so glad  that my mood has swung in such a positive direction. Honestly. Yesterday, I got super  anxious about going to the land of Katakana (and no, Patrick, it is not pronounced Katakenka). All of sudden, I got very nervous about spending my summer in Japan. Please, don’t get me wrong. I generally enjoy travelling, visiting places, discovering other cultures, or whatnot. Yesterday, however, I felt that Japan might be bit of a stretch for my travelling capacities. On the one hand, I love everything Japanese, on the other, I’ve recently realized that Japan also scares me a bit (or maybe it’s just Katakana). Well, anyways, I’ll try to keep an open mind. Que sera, sera – whatever will be, will be.

The gate has just opened. Holly Moses.  So, I guess I should peace out. Anyways. Later alligator….or more specifically, see you in Tokyo.l

 

1 comment: